South Denver Area
I am an experienced and certified Linux system administrator, systems engineer, and architect who can help you to design, automate, and manage your Linux systems. I am interested in a long term tech-lead or management level position.Clearances
- 2012 Govt. MBI Public Trust
- 2007 DoD Interim Secret
- 2003 DoD Secret
- 1995 DoD Secret
- B.S. Applied Mathematics with minor in Computer Science
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator - RHCSA
- Novell Certified Linux Administrator - NCLA
- Novell Data Center Technical Specialist - NDCTS
- Novell SuSE 11 Technical Specialist - NSTS
- ID: 10020978 Date: 02/21/2010 [ Certification Area ]
- LPIC-I - Linux Professional Institute
Novell SuSE, Red Hat, CentOS, XCP (Xen Cloud Platform), Microsoft Server 2003
Linux Systems Engineer and Architect
Littleton, CO (April 2014 - Present)
Linux systems engineer providing administration, project, and technical lead services.
- Created system to automatically collect and sort serial console data in order to troubleshoot potential issues on a new network device.
- Established InfoSEC policy for Linux servers in the data center.
- Technical and project lead on Prism TV project. Helped setup a Red Hat system, MySQL, and other components in conjunction with vendor application.
- Technical lead on wireless test environment. Built operating systems and established an NTP peer'd cluster.
- Technical lead on large scale network monitoring application.
- Established PXE server for various OS platform installs and live diagnostic tools.
- Utilized Clonezilla for server cloning and disaster recovery.
- Setup DHCP server for data center.
- Setup and utilized NetBackup (Veritas) for server backups.
Centennial, CO (July 2013 - March 2014)
Administration and programming services for Pearson Learning Technologies.
- Tech Lead for GeckoBoard monitoring of ServiceNow.
- Wrote automated test tool utilizing ServiceNow Perl API.
- Administration of ServiceNow instances for Pearson. Performing backups and scheduling clones. Importing data into MySQL databases via import sets.
- Provided recommendations for data structures and administration procedures.
- Provided documentation on best practice for using update sets.
Sun Plus Data Group
Lakewood, CO (Sept 2012 - Mar 2013)
Linux systems engineer and architect for the Dept. of Interior supporting a Novell SuSE Linux compute cluster.
- Responsible for upgrading system, capacity planning, security, and disaster recovery.
- Administering Novell SuSE Linux super computer cluster and storage.
- Provide documentation on all aspects of the cluster infrastructure.
- Re-established NFS server and clients after NFS server crash.
- Wrote backup scripts and restored files to an XFS file system on a Promise array.
Englewood, CO (July 2012 - Sept 2012)
Linux systems engineer and Technical Lead to McAfee.
- Technical lead for Amazon Elastic Cloud project.
- Assisted business analyst in Postini migration project.
- Reviewed firewall settings (security group) and updated on Amazon AWS.
- Created access documents for level/tier 3/4 production support groups.
- Deprovisioned long haul NFS mounts on Linux systems and established regional/local NFS mounts increasing speed and performance.
Broomfield, CO (April 2011 - January 2012)
Systems engineer establishing a virtualized production infrastructure.
- Setup and configured Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) for enterprise system.
- Setup and configured DHCP, Kickstart, and PXE servers for automated system builds.
- Established YUM repositories used in conjunction with the kickstart server.
- Used Perl to update hundreds of MySQL database records.
- Created templates for auto creation of virtual hosts.
- Configured Linux and Windows hosts in support of Presilient's software stack.
- Migrating services from remote data center to in-house data center.
- Documenting architecture, infrastructure items, and software configuration.
Threshold Placement Services
Littleton, CO (March 2011)
Systems engineer for Oil and Gas Seismic Analysis Company, setup a clustered NAS using SCALE® equipment.
- Setup and configured SCALE® Computing servers (clustered NAS environment).
- Setup Apache server and Samba share for internal IT documentation.
- Provided system analysis report for improving enterprise computing environment.
Colorado Springs, CO (May 2010 - December 2010)
Systems engineer supporting an HPSA (opsware) application for Wells Fargo.
- Responsible for fixing Red Hat patching within the HPSA application.
- Wrote Perl script to restore unique permissions to over 5,000 files.
- Established and documented best practices for creating Red Hat software policies for deploying RPMs to over 6000 servers.
- Modified rhn_import auto generated software policies to have the "repo.restrict" mechanism as part of best practice.
- Helped troubleshoot RPM inconsistencies with system administrators.
- Installed Novell ZLM agents and performed system upgrades with ZLM.
- Provided recommendations for support of patching process.
Linux Systems Engineer
Englewood, CO (July 2007 - November 2008)
Linux systems engineer for content delivery network.
- Wrote Linux/Perl/XML monitoring script that launched failed processes and sent notification.
- Wrote Linux init scripts to standardize support environment.
- Configured/Installed SSL certificates for Linux/Apache.
- Programmatically restarted services using Expect.
- Configured around 400 Linux hosts to be under Akamai's authentication and ACL.
- Loaded Linux OS images to host machines via PXE server.
- Created an optimized Cygwin package for sshd deployment on Windows servers.
- Configured Linux and Windows hosts to authenticate with SSH keys.
Senior Application Analyst
Houston, TX (October 2006 - March 2007)
Linux administrator on foreign exchange trading system using Murex and Sybase.
- Co-developed Perl based AIX Jabber logging client.
- Loaded Sybase databases.
- Wrote Perl script to check on profit and loss calculations.
- Wrote flexible process script to perform various maintenance tasks.
- Supported the application using Big Brother.
- Performed database dumps
- Contributed documentation to support the application.
Operating Systems Architect
Englewood, CO (March 2006 - May 2006)
Architect providing design documentation to re-platform a system at Lockheed Martin.
- Contributed to the development of the current state analysis report. Report involved analysis of existing infrastructure supporting Oracle Federal Financials (OFF) including Windows 2000 Server environment, network architecture, storage area network (SAN), DoD security requirements, and organizational support structures.
- Outlined operating environment, network, SAN, security, and support requirements for a UNIX or Linux based future state infrastructure.
- Researched requirements for re-platforming OFF to Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and Linux.
- Analyzed surrounding IT infrastructure and operating environment for OFF Lockheed Martin business component.
- Collaborated on the development of a high-level transition plan to re-platform OFF in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Provided deliverable document of future state design.
L3 Titan Corporation
Colorado Springs, CO (September 2003 - September 2005)
System administrator providing production support and software development.
- Installed Solaris patches, upgraded application, backed up system to tape.
- Analyzed STIGs for system compliance or modified system to be compliant.
- Provided user support for collaboration tool.
- Maintained and developed SharePoint Team Services website.
- Established Backup/Restore procedures for a SharePoint Team Services site.
- Developed script (Perl) to find all subwebs on an STS site saving the company approximately 2 weeks of man hours every time the data was needed.
- Developed exam and certification process to assist in the training of new hires.
Senior Programmer Analyst
FedEx Corporate Services
Colorado Springs, CO (August 1999 - September 2003)
Software developer and software configuration manager for NetReturn web-based returns management software system.
- Lead developer of NetReturn API.
- Technical lead for OS upgrade from Solaris 2.6 to 2.8.
- Designed and developed P2D interface for use in NetReturn. This interface represents an enterprise to enterprise communication layer, enabling FedEx to talk to RPS (FedEx Ground).
- Primary configuration management analyst and developer of all CM tools.
- Wrote all configuration management tools in Perl for development group.
- Reverted entire production system back to previous code freeze label. This saved the entire project from having to spend time to backtrack and re-enter code.
- Developed Java based transaction client (GUI) routing to NetReturn API.
- Developed Perl/Linux test tool to generate/configure data for use with Java API transaction client. Designed client to monitor hardware and software availability.
- Designed, developed, maintained group website.
- Re-designed and coded migration software for unit, integration, and production levels.
- Load-Master for all production releases.
- Production Support of Solaris and Sybase systems.
UNIX Software Developer
Denver, CO (May 1998 - May 1999)
Streamlined software processes for telecommunications company.
- Developed enterprise wide script (ksh) to warn of limited disk space on Unix mounts.
- Researched Call Data Records to improve archival of CDR's.
- Modified a program to additionally check the binary integrity of an AMA file.
- Designed a web based (CGI) file extraction lookup for internal help-desk. This made for faster customer support, saving the company thousands of dollars.
Analyst International Corporation
Denver, CO (October 1997 - February 1998)
Analyze and remediate software for Y2K conversion.
- Subject Matter Expert on Y2K refactoring strategies.
- Installed/Configured Exceed software for Y2K remediation group.
ITT Space Systems Division
Colorado Springs, CO (September 1995 - September 1997)
Programmer enhancing software modeling software (C-based).
- Analyzed and modified satellite view-angle module.
- Maintained and enhanced war game simulator in VSAT (Visual Scenario Analysis Tool).
- Debugged core files (via dbx) and fixed memory leaks in program.
- Setup hardware and software for KSAT/Astrodynamics demos.
- Designed and developed a declassification program for a UNIX environment.
- Wrote technical manual to run UNIX tcsh/csh script to declassify code.
- Converted Binary executable to new ELF format in IRIX 5.3.
- Maintained and administered software development environment.
Battelle Pacific North Labs
Richland, WA (1995)
Studied wavelet theory and its possible application to the analysis of the effects of anesthesia on the brain.
B.S. Applied Mathematics with minor in Computer Science
University of Colorado at Colorado Springs - College of Engineering (1987-1992)
University of Iowa - Dept. of Mathematics (1992-1994)
Group Theory, Analysis I, Analysis II, Differential Equations, Matrix Theory, Topology, Abstract Algebra
Colorado State University at Ft.Collins - Dept. of Computer Science (2005)